Summer Escape to Lake House
You likely have fond memories of long weekends spent at little lakefront cabins when you were a kid. They were simpler days, and you found endless joy in splashing in the water, paddling a rowboat in helpless circles, and throwing horseshoes on the lawn while your parents grilled burgers and lit a campfire for s'mores. Imagine recreating that experience, but instead of corny fisherman's décor, you could stay in a comfortable hotel decorated tastefully in a modern mountain style with access to a full suite of luxury resort amenities. Now that's a lake vacation worth leaving the city for.
Despite the wild, remote nature of the Adirondacks, Lake Placid is conveniently located within an easy five-hour drive of both New York City and Boston. For Canadian visitors from Montreal, the drive is even shorter! Before you know it, giant skyscrapers will be behind you, exchanged for towering pines and mountains. Once you've checked in and settled into your room, enjoy a cocktail from the Lake House Bar while gazing out over Mirror Lake from the giant windows in the lodge-style Great Room. Try to ignore the tempting call of your cozy bed long enough to catch a glimpse of the night sky, speckled with a stunning display of stars unlike anything you will find under the haze of city lights.
Once you wake refreshed, it's time to experience the many Adirondack activities that surround the Lake House. Fill your itinerary with the following and you'll be booking your next visit before you even leave.
- The Gondola at Whiteface: Whiteface Mountain isn't just a ski resort – it's a year-round destination! Enjoy incredible views of rugged Adirondack Mountains without breaking a sweat when you ride the Gondola to the top of Whiteface.
- Explore Waterways: Explore the region by paddling the pristine lakes and waterways around Lake Placid. If you're new to canoeing or kayaking, High Peaks Resort offers complimentary boats that you can take out on Mirror Lake. Or, let someone else do the captaining and take a boat tour on Lake Placid.
- Take a Hike: Exchange concrete sidewalks for dirt and roots when you go hiking on a nearby trail. Whether you trek up a mountain or simply enjoy a walk in the woods, you'll feel refreshed after spending some time in the great Adirondack outdoors.
- Relax by the Pool: Spend some time relaxing by the pool at the Lake House, or at either of the other High Peaks locations, the Resort or the Waterfront Collection. Both indoor and outdoor pools are available, so you can swim in any weather.
- Get Your Thrills: Get your fill of adrenaline – go zip lining at Experience Outdoors! Will you brave the heights to enjoy the unique Adirondack views? If you don't like heights, consider a trip to High Falls Gorge. The rushing falls will get your blood pumping while you remain firmly on the ground.
- Stroll Main Street: You could spend an entire day just exploring Main Street. Shopping, dining, and, of course, ice cream boutiques line the streets. Enjoy a cocktail on a terrace with lake and mountain views, or find the perfect souvenir in a local shop.
- Finish Strong: The best way to wrap up the day? Enjoy a delicious meal at any of High Peaks Resorts restaurants before retiring to the Lake House lawn for fun games and a crackling campfire.
Give your lungs a break. Spend a week breathing in the fresh, clean mountain air of a small Adirondack town. Visit the Lake House in Lake Placid for a week or long weekend and return to your concrete jungle feeling refreshed.