Experience the Adirondacks for Yourself
Celebrate the Early Signs of Spring
We'll take any excuse to stay outside a little longer! It might be the shortest month of the year, but with longer days and more moderate temperatures we mean to make the most of it. So pack your bags, the family, and Fido and head up to Lake Placid for a getaway packed with family fun!
- Whether it's uniquely Adirondack games like ice bowling or the frying pan toss, or decidedly different parade features like the Saranac Lake Lawnchair Ladies, or the always spectacular storming of the ice palace (yes - a real palace made of ice cut from Lake Flower), you've never seen a celebration like the annual Saranac Lake Winter Carnival.
- Join us Presidents' Week for s'mores at the fire pit, snowshoeing on Mirror Lake, larger-than-life board games at Lake House, and free cross-country skiing at Cascade Ski Center. Area attractions will be hosting special holiday hours (weather permitting), including the Olympic speed skating oval, the Mirror Lake Toboggan Chute, the Wild Center, and Paul Smiths VIC.
- When you stay at High Peaks Resort, admission to Cascade Ski Center's groomed cross-country ski and snowshoe trails are included with your rate (rentals available but not included). Only a 10-minute drive from our resort, Cascade offers on-site lessons and the most extensive Nordic shop in Lake Placid. It's never been a better time to take up a new winter sport!
- Some of our favorite trails for cross country skiing and snowshoeing can be found at the Paul Smiths Visitor's Interpretive Center. Open to the public seven days a week with cross country ski and snowshoe rentals on weekends, the Paul Smiths VIC is the perfect spot if you want to explore more with options for a variety of snow sports and experience levels.
- Looking for a bit more adventure? Want to ski the Adirondacks like a local? There are lots of cross-country ski trails that are near Lake Placid but feel like a world away.
- Hiring a licensed Adirondack Guide is the finest way to experience the Adirondacks! These intrepid locals carry on a 200-year-old tradition of leading explorers through the Adirondacks, telling stories, imparting wisdom, and ensuring you have an exceptional experience in our northern woods.
Enjoy Prime Alpine Ski Conditions
- Boasting new construction and extensive remodeling, the experience at Whiteface Mountain is better than ever. With the greatest vertical of any lift-serviced mountain in the Northeast, mile after mile of impeccably groomed cruising trails, 98% snowmaking coverage, and a comprehensive ski and snowboard school - there's more fun at Whiteface than you can have in a weekend.
- If you're looking for a small-town ski hill experience where you can enjoy a few hours of skiing, shopping, and exploring then Saranac Lake's Mt. Pisgah is the perfect spot for you! Great for beginners who want an unintimidating experience and advanced skiers who want to get a few active hours into a full day of Adirondack charm.